Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Lateral - by Jake Kennedy

Reading through Jake Kennedy's, The Lateral, I found that the first section was fairly lost on me. Through some quick research I discovered that Kathy Aker was a poet who passed away in 1997, but I don't have or understand Flikr, so the list format of photo files didn't really make sense to me (I look forward to his explaining it in class tomorrow!). The middle part was easier to understand and there were specific lines I really liked such as "And what of those cultures in which a distinction between artist and non-artist does not exist? How much more beauiful would beauty be there? How much less beautiful?" (32) and the concept of the poem on page 39, of robots writing poems I found very interesting. As for the third and final section... well I definitely noticed a theme there!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the this! And yes! His first section is the strange beauty of a funeral procession and all its bizarre formalities and black and greynesses and relentless onward grief march! Kathy was pure literary anarchy punk. As for seconded partings, i consider these musings to be written by poet very FOR poets, with heavy allusions (both Englishy and personal) and dandy-tandy epiphanies on art/language/beauty/community! Last final hurrah, why CAN'T poetry be as ouchy and tickly as one-liners? Do you know Hugh Prathner's "Notes to Myself"? Check it before class so that you can skoo our asses about it's holes!

    ReplyDelete